Rise and shine, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed petals!
Are you a late night-er or an early riser? Either way, you’ve probably come across at least one or two of the plethora of blog posts espousing getting up earlier (I’ve changed my normal morning routine from 7 am to 6 am – but no earlier, thankyouverymuch).
It seems as if a number of health benefits abound, including increased productivity, better sleep, and even healthier character traits such as positivity and satisfaction (don’t ask me what they mean by that. I am not a scientist.)
BUT aside from all that backed-by-science stuff, these are the top 3 reasons I love my mornings recently:
1. Sunrise. Have you ever seen a more beautiful thing? You don’t have to get up at the literal sparrow fart; the sun can wake up slightly earlier than you, but there is not many things better than seeing those rosy fingers light up the sky.
2. It’s quiet. ‘Nuff said.
3. You literally have more time in your day.
This is a bit of a strange one but it’s totally true! You would think that because you’re getting up earlier, you would go to sleep earlier. But that hasn’t been my experience to date. I suffer wholeheartedly from FOMO (is this acronym still a thing? Or am I trying to make fetch still happen). So if you’re still up, I wanna be up too!
And even if you do tend to fall asleep like clockwork one hour earlier than usual – let’s be frank – what would you be doing during that hour normally? Mindlessly scrolling Facebook or Instagram, probably. Most people are way more productive and nurturing with their time in the mornings than late at night.
Here are some suggestions to get you motivated about starting a slightly earlier morning routine:
- Cook your partner or housemate breakfast to show you love ’em;
- Do a quick household chore you couldn’t be bothered doing before bed and then reward yourself with a brekkie smoothie;
- Find a space on the ground or between the covers to do a bit of meditation practice;
- Jump for three minutes with a skipping rope – it’s not enough to get you sweaty (well, you may be a little warm) but it’ll get you energised for the day and jumpstart your metabolism;
- Do you like baths? Have a bath or spend an extra long time in the shower (while keeping mindful of water restrictions);
- Watch an inspirational set of YouTube vids;
- The dogs would LOVE a morning walk. You know what I’m sayin’;
- Sit out on the balcony or the back deck with freshly brewed coffee and an ACTUAL NEWSPAPER (or magazine).
Personally, I’m loving using that new hour to:
(a) Make an extra hot cup of tea and reading a book;
(b) Cuddling with my dogs who I know are not going to see me for the rest of the day (sad face);
(c) Working on this blog!
So, pretty petals, do you get up early in the morning? How has it contributed to your day? Would love to hear and draw on your morning experiences! I’m actually going to be writing up my current morning routine shortly, inspired by a fellow blogger – so watch out for that one shortly. X